Mark leads the Policy and Outreach Group, providing strategic oversight of our relationships with other research funders and the academic community (including our regional staff), peer review and advice service, and programmes on animal welfare and experimental design. He ensures that the NC3Rs has a long-term, coordinated, impact-driven and sustainable strategy for supporting changes in 3Rs policy and practice.
PA: Kayleigh Purdon
Other programmes of work
- Peer review and advice service
- Welfare of non-human primates and other species
- Regional Programme Managers
- Impact Assessor for Sub-Panel 4 (Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience) in the Research Excellence Framework 2021
- Member of the AAALAC Board of Directors
- Member Organisation Delegate of AAALAC House of Delgates
- Member of the AAALAC Committee to Review the Role of AAALAC International in Scientific Reproducibility for Research Involving Animals
- Chair of the AAALAC/IQ Consortium Global 3Rs Awards Committee
- Member of the PLOS ONE Animal Research Advisory Group
- Member of the Animals Editorial Board
- Member of the Royal Veterinary College DMD Dog Colony Scientific and Ethical Advisory Board
- Member of the MRC Centre for Macaques Scientific Advisory Board
- Member of the MRC Centre for Macaques Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body
- Member of the International Primatological Society Captive Care and Breeding Committee
Previous external roles
- Member of the University of Birmingham Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body
- Impact Assessor for Sub-Panel 5 (Biological Sciences) in the Research Excellence Framework 2014
- Expert Evaluator for the European Commission's Sixth and Seventh Framework Programmes
- Member of the European Commission's SCHEER Working Group on Non-human Primates Testing
- Member of the MRC/BBSRC/Wellcome Trust Bateson Review of Research Using Non-Human Primates
- Member of the MRC Cross-Board Working Group on Animal Guidance
- Member of the UKRI Funding Research Involving Animals Task and Finish Group
- Member of the UKRI Research Ethics and Responsible Innovation Task and Finish Group
- Council Member and Convenor of the Captive Care Working Party of the Primate Society of Great Britain
- Member of the Animal Procedures Committee
- Member of the Technical Expert Working Group advising the European Commission on revision of Directive 86/609/EEC (representing European Federation for Primatology)
- Member of the Primate Expert Group advising the Council of Europe on Appendix A to Convention ETS 123
- Observer to the Multilateral Consultation on revision of Appendix A to Convention ETS 123 (representing World Society for the Protection of Animals)
- Honorary Fellow of the European Primate Veterinarians
- Honorary Fellow of the Scottish Primate Research Group
Barkus C, Bergmann C, Branco T, Carandini M, Chadderton P, Galiñanes G, Gilmour G, Huber D, Huxter J, Khan AG, King AJ, Maravall M, O’Mahony3 T, Ragan CI, Robinson ESJ, Schaefer A, Schultz SR, Sengpiel S, Prescott MJ. Refinements to mouse high-yield behavioural experiments involving head fixation and fluid/food control. (in prep)
Baker KC, Prescott MJ. An international survey of behavioral management programs for laboratory nonhuman primates. (in prep)
Prescott MJ, Truelove MA, Leach MC. Harmonisation of welfare indicators for macaques and marmosets used or bred for research. (in prep)
Buckmaster CL, Levesque D, Loy M, McMillan JL, Prescott MJ, Thompson-Iritani. Five hot topics in refinement of nonhuman primate neuroscience research. (in press)
Jefferys JGR & Prescott MJ (2022) Refinement of rodent models of seizures and epilepsy. In: Engel J Jr., Moshe SL (Eds.) Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook, 3rd Edn. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (in press)
Prescott MJ (2022) Using primates in captivity: research, conservation and education. In: Robinson LM, Weiss A (Eds.) Nonhuman Primate Welfare: From History, Science, and Ethics to Practice. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. ISBN 978-3-030-82707-6. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-82708-3
Scullion Hall L & Prescott MJ (2021) Behavioral biology of dogs. In: Coleman K, Shapiro S (Eds.) Behavioral Biology of Laboratory Animals. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. ISBN 9780367029234
Prescott MJ, Clark C, Dowling WE, Shurtleff AC (2021) Opportunities for refinement of non-human primate vaccine studies. Vaccines 9, 284. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines9030284
Prescott MJ & Poirier C (2020) The role of MRI in applying the 3Rs to non-human primate neuroscience. NeuroImage 225: 117521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.117521
Prescott MJ (2020) Ethical and welfare implications of genetically altered non-human primates for biomedical research. Journal of Applied Animal Ethics Research 2(2): 151-176. https://doi.org/10.1163/25889567-BJA10002
Milham M, Petkov CI, Margulies DS, et al. (2020) Accelerating the evolution of nonhuman primate neuroimaging: The PRIMatE data exchange (PRIME-DE) global collaboration workshop and consortium. Neuron 105: 600-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2019.12.023
Shurtleff A & Prescott MJ (2019) Workshop report: Refining CEPI-funded NHP vaccine development studies. CEPI & NC3Rs.
Lidster K, Owen K, Browne B, Prescott MJ (2019) Cage aggression in group-housed laboratory male mice: an international data crowdsourcing project. Scientific Reports 9: 15211. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-51674-z
Hawkins P, McBride A, Paiba G, Rose R, Prescott MJ, Mulley J, Izzard S, Ridley D, Melotti L, Kappel S, Hubrecht R (2018). Report of the 2017 RSPCA/UFAW Rodent and Rabbit Welfare Group. Animal Technology and Welfare 17(2): 75-83.
Vermeire T, Badin RA, Langermans J, Prescott MJ (2017) Editorial to "Use of nonhuman primate disease models". Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models 23: 1-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ddmod.2018.03.002
Prescott MJ, Langermans JA, Ragan I (2017) Applying the 3Rs to non-human primate research: barriers and solutions. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models 23: 51-56. doi: 10.1016/j.ddmod.2017.11.001
Prescott MJ (2017) NC3Rs Guidelines: Non-human primate accommodation, care and use. London: NC3Rs.
McMillan J, Bloomsmith MA, Prescott MJ (2017) An international survey of approaches to chair restraint of nonhuman primates. Comparative Medicine 67(5): 1-10.
Vermeire T, Epstein M, Badin RA, Flecknell PA, Hoet P, Hudson-Shore M, Jones D, Krätke R, Langermans J, Prescott MJ, Simonnard A, Testai E (2017) Final opinion on the need for non-human primates in biomedical research, production and testing of products and devices (update 2017). Brussels: Scientific Committee on Health, Environmental and Emerging Risks (SCHEER), European Commission.
Prescott MJ, Lidster K (2017) Improving quality of science through better animal welfare: the NC3Rs strategy. Lab Animal 46(4):152-156. doi: 10.1038/laban.1217
Lidster L, Readman GD, Prescott MJ, Owen SF (2017) International survey on the use and welfare of zebrafish Danio rerio in research. Journal of Fish Biology 90(5): 1891-1905. doi:10.1111/jfb.13278
Hawkins P, Prescott MJ, Carbone L, Dennison N, Johnson C, Makowska J, Marquardt N, Readman G, Weary DM, Golledge HDR (2016) A good death?: Report of the second Newcastle meeting on laboratory animal euthanasia. Animals 6(9): 50. doi:10.3390/ani6090050
Prescott MJ (2016) Online resources for improving the care and use of non-human primates in research. Primate Biology 3: 33-40. doi:10.5194/pb-3-33-2016
Lidster L, Jefferys JG, Blümcke I,Crunelli V, Flecknell P, Frenguelli BG, Gray WP, Kaminski R, Pitkänen A, Ragan I, Shah M, Simonato M, Trevelyan A, Volk H, Walker M, Yates N, Prescott MJ (2015) Opportunities for improving animal welfare in rodent models of epilepsy and seizures. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 260: 2-25. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2015.09.007
Graham ML, Prescott MJ (2015) The multifactorial role of the 3Rs in shifting the harm‐benefit analysis in animal models of disease. European Journal of Pharmacology 759: 19-29. doi:10.1016/j.ejphar.2015.03.040
Chapman K, Bayne K, Couch J, Decelle T, Finch L, de Haan L, Koban T, Fris Mikkelsen L, Muller W, Palmer H, Prescott MJ (2015) Opportunities for implementing the 3Rs in drug development and safety assessment studies using nonhuman primates. In: J Bluemel, S Korte, E Schenck, G Weinbauer (Eds.), The Nonhuman Primate in Drug Development and Safety Assessment. Massachusetts: Elsevier. ISBN: 9780124171442
Pickard J, Buchanan-Smith HM, Dennis M, Flecknell P, Joannides A, Lemon RN, Prescott MJ, Schultz W (2013) Review of the assessment of cumulative severity and lifetime experience in non-human primates used in neuroscience research. London: Animal Procedures Committee.
Prescott MJ (2013) Talking with the animals. Laboratory News, 18 March 2013, 35-37.
Prescott MJ, Nixon ME, Farningham DAH, Naiken S, Griffiths M-A (2012) Laboratory macaques: when to wean? Applied Animal Behaviour Science 137: 194-207. doi:10.1016/j.applanim.2011.11.001
Prescott MJ, Brown VJ, Flecknell PA, Garrod K, Lemon RN, Parker AJ, Ryder K, Wolfram Schultz, Scott L, Watson J, Whitfield L (2012) Response to Westlund's commentary: 'Can conditioned reinforcers and variable-ratio schedules make food- and fluid control redundant?' Journal of Neuroscience Methods 204: 206-209. doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth.2011.08.038
Smith AC, Surridge AK, Prescott MJ, Osorio D, Mundy N, Buchanan-Smith HM (2012) Effect of colour vision status on insect prey capture efficiency of captive and wild tamarins (Saguinus spp.). Animal Behaviour 83(3): 479-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2011.11.023
Prescott MJ (2012) Changling the face of primate neuroscience. BNA Bulletin 66, 10.
Bateson P, Johansen-Berg H, Jones DK, Keverne EB, Matthews PM, Milner ADM, Prescott MJ, Ragan I, Shattock R, Strauss J, Peck H (2011) Review of Research Using Non-Human Primates: Report of a panel chaired by Professor Sir Patrick Bateson FRS. London: BBSRC, MRC, NC3Rs, Wellcome Trust.
Prescott MJ (2010) Ethics of primate use. Advances in Science and Research 5: 11-22. https://doi.org/10.5194/asr-5-11-2010
Ellegaard L, Cunningham A, Edwards S, Grand N, Nevalainen T, Prescott MJ, Schuurman T. (2010). Welfare of the minipig with special reference to use in regulatory toxicology. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 62(3): 167-183. doi:10.1016/j.vascn.2010.05.006
Prescott MJ, Brown VJ, Flecknell PA, Gaffan D, Garrod K, Lemon RN, Parker AJ, Ryder K, Schultz W, Scott L, Watson J, Whitfield L, (2010) Refinement of the use of food and fluid control as motivational tools for macaques used in behavioural neuroscience research: Report of a working group of the NC3Rs. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 193: 167-188. doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth.2010.09.003
Jennings M & Prescott MJ (eds.) Joint Working Group on Refinement (2009) Refinements in husbandry, care and common procedures for non-human primates. Laboratory Animals 43(S1): 1-47. doi:10.1258/la.2008.007143
Prescott MJ (2007) Book review: Guidelines for the humane transportation of research animals. International Journal of Primatology 28: 505–506. doi:10.1007/s10764-007-9134-8
Prescott MJ, Buchanan-Smith HM (2007) Training laboratory-housed non-human primates, Part 1: A UK survey. Animal Welfare 16: 21-26. ISSN 0962-7286
McCann C, Buchanan-Smith HM, Farmer K, Fitch-Snyder H, Jones-Engel L, Prescott MJ, Taylor S (2007) IPS International Guidelines for the Acquisition, Care and Breeding of Non-Human Primates, 2nd Edition. Captive Care Committee, International Primatological Society.
Prescott MJ (2006) NC3Rs Guidelines: Primate accommodation, care and use. London: NC3Rs.
Prescott MJ (2006) Finding new homes for ex-laboratory and surplus zoo primates. Laboratory Primate Newsletter 45: 5-8.
Prescott MJ (2006) Primate sensory capabilities and communications signals: Implications for care and use in the laboratory. London: NC3Rs.
Prescott MJ, Bowell VA, Buchanan-Smith HM (2005) Training laboratory-housed non-human primates, Part 2: Resources for developing and implementing training programmes. Animal Technology and Welfare 4: 133-148.
Buchanan-Smith HM, Rennie AE, Vitale A, Pollo S, Prescott MJ, Morton DB. (2005) Harmonising the definition of refinement. Animal Welfare 14(4): 379-384. ISSN 0962-7286
Swallow J, Anderson D, Buckwell AC, Harris T, Hawkins P (Eds.), Kirkwood J, Lomas M, Peters A, Prescott MJ, Owen S, Quest R, Sutcliffe R, Thompson K.(2005) Guidance for the transport of laboratory animals. Laboratory Animals 39: 1-39. doi:10.1258/0023677052886493
For additional publications pre-NC3Rs on the behaviour and welfare of non-human primates (captivity and field), dogs and other species, see Mark's ResearchGate profile
- (2020) Taking aim at the 3Rs.
- (2018) Introductory training on the 3Rs: time for a fresh approach.
- (2018) 13 years and 900 applications: perspectives and advice from the NC3Rs peer review service.
- (2017) Championing the 3Rs in India.
- (2016) BRIC by BRIC: The NC3Rs working with Brazil, India and China.
- (2016) Seven ways to use the Macaque Website.
- (2016) A fresh approach to training in welfare assessment of laboratory animals.
- (2015) Top tips for getting the most out of the 'Procedures with Care' web resource.
- (2015) Publicly funded health research and the role of the NC3Rs.
- (2015) A collaborative website to support macaque welfare internationally.
- (2014) The importance of transparency in research using animals.
The University of Stirling, 1995–1999
Social learning in mixed-species troops of Saguinus fuscicollis and Saguinus labiatus: tests of foraging benefit hypotheses in captivity.
BSc Hons, Zoology
The University of Edinburgh, 1991–1995