Skip to main content

International 3Rs Prize now open for applications. £30k prize (£2k personal award) for outstanding science with demonstrable 3Rs impacts.

NC3Rs | 20 Years: Pioneering Better Science

Making a complaint

We work hard to ensure that you have a positive experience when you contact us. 

We accept that things sometimes go wrong, and value your feedback in the event of a problem occurring. 

The NC3Rs is an autonomous body responsible for setting and delivering its strategy and the use of its resources. It is not an independent public authority and for this reason it operates under the umbrella of the Medical Research Council (MRC), which is part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), using some MRC and UKRI administrative systems. 

We are committed to operating a responsive, transparent and fair complaints process. We follow the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman principles of good complaint handling

We aim to resolve your complaint internally, if you are unhappy with our response, the complaint will then be handled by UKRI.

When to make a complaint using this procedure

You should use this complaints procedure if:

  • We have not followed agreed policies, procedures or legal obligations.
  • An NC3Rs employee has been unhelpful or insensitive in their dealings with you. 
  • We have not responded or have taken an unreasonable amount of time to answer a query or request.
  • You are dissatisfied with how we have handled a data protection, environmental information or freedom of information request.

Do not use this procedure if: 

  • You disagree with a decision made by the NC3Rs Board, committees or one of its funding panels.
  • You disagree with a decision made by an organisation we fund.
  • It is a matter which is currently the subject of litigation or legal proceedings. 
  • Your complaint has previously been through this procedure including an appeal and has been closed. 

You should use a different procedure: 

How to make a complaint

Step one

If you are unhappy with our service or have an enquiry, you can let us know by telephone, in writing by email or post. Please contact the NC3Rs office: 

Tel: 020 7611 2233

If your complaint is about a response to requests under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or Environmental Information Regulations, please contact the NC3Rs Information Officer:

Information Officer
Gibbs Building
215 Euston Road

Subject: FAO Information Officer
Tel: 020 7611 2233

If we are not able to resolve your complaint go to step two.

Step two

If your complaint has not been resolved in step one, you can make a formal complaint to UKRI. 

Full details of the UKRI Complaints Procedure are published on their website: Make a complaint

You must make your complaint in writing, either by email or letter. 

In making a complaint, you should include:

  • Your reason for making the complaint, providing a clear description of your experience and what outcome you would like to see.
  • If this is a new issue, or if it relates to a previous case (please provide any relevant correspondence or reference numbers).
  • Your contact details, including telephone number and email address.

Send your complaint to the UKRI complaints team via email:

Contact details by post are:

Deputy Director Risk and Assurance 
UK Research and Innovation 
Polaris House 
North Star Avenue 

How we will use your personal data

The personal data you give us will be used to help us investigate and respond to your complaint. 

Your personal data will be handled in line with UK data protection legislation and managed securely. If you would like to know more, including how to exercise your rights, please see our privacy policy.