The following external resources and papers relate to zebrafish welfare.
- Guidance on zebrafish housing and handling from The North American 3Rs collaborative (NA3RsC).
- Enrichment for Laboratory Zebrafish—A Review of the Evidence and the Challenges, a 2021 publication authored by members of the RSPCA Research Animals Department.
- Zebrafish enrichment posters created by the RSPCA Research Animals Department.
- The Zebrafish Husbandry Association (ZHA) website.
- General resources on zebrafish in research from Norecopa.
- Rácz A et al. (2021). Identification of individual zebrafish (Danio rerio): A refined protocol for VIE tagging whilst considering animal welfare and the principles of the 3Rs. Animals 11(3): 616. doi: 10.3390/ani11030616
- Stevens CH, Reed BT and Hawkins P (2021). Enrichment for laboratory zebrafish—a review of the evidence and the challenges. Animals 11(3): 698. doi: 10.3390/ani11030698
- Aleström P et al. (2019). Zebrafish: Housing and husbandry recommendations. Laboratory Animals 54(3): 213-224. doi: 10.1177/0023677219869037